Skip to main content

Miss Buckingham and Her Fountain



A colorful western sky at the Clarence Buckingham Memorial Fountain in Grant Park.
Published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc. 


This is a story about a sister’s love for her brother. It was her love and wealth that helped transform an empty parcel of land in Grant Park into a beautiful oasis with a magnificent fountain. Kate Sturges Buckingham donated one million dollars in the 1920s for the construction of the fountain in memory of her brother, Clarence Buckingham, who died in 1913.

Kate and Clarence made their fortune by investing in grain elevators, real estate and steel. They were also avid art collectors and donated many objects to the Art Institute of Chicago.The Clarence Buckingham Memorial Fountain is one of the largest fountains in the world. Architect Edward H. Bennett designed the fountain and French artist Marcel Francois Loyau produced the sculptural elements. The fountain was made out of granite and pink Georgia marble. The lower part of the fountain includes four art deco-style sea horses that spray water back at the main portion of the fountain. The sea horses represent the four states that border Lake Michigan. The fountain resembles a large wedding cake, many people say.

A close-up view of the Clarence Buckingham Memorial Fountain.
Published by Hedrich-Blessing Studio.

At various times in the evening during warmer months, the fountain comes alive, displaying soft colors of mostly yellows, pinks and reds to the rhythm of music playing out of speakers connected in the park. Kate helped tirelessly with the lighting and wanted to the colors to emulate a “soft moonlight,” according to the park district.

The fountain was manually operated until about 1980. It then became fully automated after the city entered into a contract with Honeywell. At one point, its monitoring system moved to Atlanta, Georgia, and then the Chicago suburbs before finally returning to the site in 2013. No matter where the monitoring system was located, visitors to the fountain still enjoyed its architecture, lighting and 150-foot geyser-like spray, which shoots up so high it often sends a watery mist onto those standing near the base of the fountain. The fountain is in operation from May to mid-October.

The postcard at the top of this post displays the bright colors of the fountain in the evening. All the postcards excluding the one with the white border are from the "linen era." The colors on these particular postcards are extremely bright due to the high amount of rag content. These postcards became popular with producers mostly because they used cheap inks that would dry fast. Some people do not like collecting linen postcards because they believe the images are blurry.

A view from above the Clarence Buckingham Memorial Fountain in Grant Park.
Published by Curt Teich & Co.,Inc.


The Chicago skyline stands behind the Clarence Buckingham Memorial Fountain in Grant Park.
Publisher is unknown. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Souls on Chicago's Forgotten Suicide Bridge

On this postcard, the bridge is called Suicide Bridge instead of its official name High Bridge. Postcard publication is unknown.  A tall pedestrian bridge that was built over the Lincoln Park Lagoon in 1894 was later dubbed “Suicide Bridge” after the structure became a popular place for people to take their own lives . It is believed that about 100 people jumped off of the bridge during its 25 years. Located south of Fullerton and east of Lincoln Park Zoo near Webster Avenue (originally called Asylum Place), High Bridge allowed pedestrians to cross from Lincoln Park to the lakefront. At 75 feet--or four stories--tall, the bridge was built high enough to allow sailboats to pass underneath. It was so high that people standing on the bridge on a clear day could see as far as the stockyards, Jackson Park, and the steel mills.   High Bridge was featured in a chase scene in the 1916 film Cousin Jim . The stuntman hired to jump off the bridge refused to do it because he thought

Saucy Salads and Sandwiches at the Edgewater Beach Hotel

 The grounds of the Edgewater Beach Hotel. Postcard published by Curt Teich Co., Chicago.  Seeing the pink high-rise Edgewater Beach Apartments on Sheridan Road near Bryn Mawr Avenue makes one think of the famed Edgewater Beach Hotel structures that once stood nearby. In its heyday in the 1920s through the 1940s, the hotel was a popular spot with honeymooners and visiting celebrities alike. You could also eat one heck of a salad or sandwich there. Arnold Shircliffe, who worked as the catering manager at the hotel, wrote A Book of Salads in 1926 and The Edgewater Sandwich Book in 1930. A sampling of recipes from these cookbooks shows that Shircliffe knew how to elevate these everyday convenience foods into works of art. He also had very different ideas about salads and sandwiches than what we typically eat today. The Colonnade Room at the Edgewater Beach Hotel. Postcard published by Max Rigot Selling Agency of Chicago.  A Book of Salads was referred to as “the bi

The Most Haunted Hotel in Chicago

  The Congress Hotel at 520 S. Michigan is "one of the most beautiful hotels in the middle west," according to this postcard. Published by the Aero Distributing Co., Chicago. The Congress Plaza Hotel at 520 S. Michigan Avenue is one of Chicago’s oldest and largest hotels. It was also one of the tallest buildings in Chicago for a time. With over 800 hotel rooms and so many people coming and going over the years, the Congress Plaza has seen its share of accidents, drug overdoses, murders, and suicides, earning it the distinction of being the most haunted hotel in the city. The Congress Plaza Hotel was built in 1893 to house visitors to the World’s Columbian Exhibition. In the 1920s, mobster Al Capone was known to play cards on Friday nights in a meeting room at the hotel. According to the Choose Chicago website, Capone also had a private suite on the hotel’s eighth floor. Some say that ghosts of the victims of the 1929 St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, which was believed to be or