Skip to main content

The Other White City

The entrance at the White City amusement park on south 63rd Street in Chicago.
Published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc., of Chicago.


The name “White City” often confuses people. The “White City” wasn’t just a nickname used to describe the beautiful neoclassical structures at the World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893, it was also the name of a popular amusement park that opened up in Chicago about a decade later.

The amusement park, which tried to recapture the same scenic elements as the Columbian Exposition, opened in 1905 and was built on the site of a former cornfield at 63rd Street and South Parkway (now Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive). While there was no admission to get into the White City, people purchased tickets for special features such as the circus show or the arcade. The park also had a ballroom, roller rink, beer garden and boardwalk, among other attractions.

A view of the grounds and buildings at White City.
Publisher is unknown.
The park was probably best known for its giant electric tower of lights that could be seen from 15 miles away.

The amusement park closed in 1933 after going bankrupt, but the roller rink remained open at the site until 1949. Over the years, the White City came across criticism from African-Americans, who were not allowed to enter the amusement park. The roller rink also later became a site for demonstrations–including a lawsuit for discrimination against African-Americans–and it closed down in 1949. Housing was built at the site in the 1950s.

To this day, many people–especially those who like purchasing collectibles such as postcards – make the mistake of thinking that images of the amusement park are actually from the Columbian Exposition. Postcards from the Exposition are particularly valuable because they were the first in the United States to display images on the front. The postcards made prior to the 1893 World’s Fair were usually blank on both sides and only meant for writing purposes. As a result, many collectors end up believing that their postcards of the White City amusement park are more valuable than they actually are.

The postcards displayed in this blog show several images of the White City amusement park. Even though these postcards are not as valuable as those from the Columbian Exposition, they still depict an important, though lesser-known, part of Chicago history.





The temple of music, animal circus and Jamestown flood at White City.
Publisher is unknown. 

The electric tower at White City.
Published by V.O. Hammon Publishing Co. of Chicago.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Souls on Chicago's Forgotten Suicide Bridge

On this postcard, the bridge is called Suicide Bridge instead of its official name High Bridge. Postcard publication is unknown.  A tall pedestrian bridge that was built over the Lincoln Park Lagoon in 1894 was later dubbed “Suicide Bridge” after the structure became a popular place for people to take their own lives . It is believed that about 100 people jumped off of the bridge during its 25 years. Located south of Fullerton and east of Lincoln Park Zoo near Webster Avenue (originally called Asylum Place), High Bridge allowed pedestrians to cross from Lincoln Park to the lakefront. At 75 feet--or four stories--tall, the bridge was built high enough to allow sailboats to pass underneath. It was so high that people standing on the bridge on a clear day could see as far as the stockyards, Jackson Park, and the steel mills.   High Bridge was featured in a chase scene in the 1916 film Cousin Jim . The stuntman hired to jump off the bridge refused to do it because he thought

Marshall Field's at Christmas

  The aisle on the first floor of the State Street store is 358 feet long. Postcard publisher is unknown.  Many Chicagoans continue to miss visiting Marshall Field’s during the holiday season. Just talking about the famed Christmas windows and holiday decorations brings about memories of the department store’s glory days. Many of us can recall the strong smell of perfume that would greet visitors upon entering the flagship State Street store, along with the huge white Romanesque columns decorated with Christmas fare on the first floor. The real fun, however, was taking the elevator to the 7 th floor to get a glimpse of the giant Christmas tree inside the Walnut Room restaurant. The best place to view the tree was one floor up on a balcony area. Christmas decorations on the first floor. Postcard publisher is unknown.  Frango mint chocolates were piled high in various areas throughout the store, and many visitors couldn’t resist buying a box. Frango chocolates were once made in a kitc

Putting the “Toddle” Back in “That Toddling Town”

  Postcard designed and sold by appshop. The “toddle” was a jazz dance step that became popular across the nation just in time for the Roaring Twenties. And Chicago became known as “that toddling town” thanks to the lyrics of Fred Fisher’s 1922 song “Chicago (That Toddling Town).” While many still know Frank Sinatra’s famous cover version of that song, the dance step has largely been forgotten. In a 1921 South Bend News-Times article, dance teacher Arthur Murray describes the toddle as having the “delightful abandon so characteristic of everything American.” According to Murray, the toddle was similar to the shimmy but without the shoulder shakes. It also bore a resemblance to the fox trot but with an extra bounce added to the steps. Songwriter Fred Fisher was not the first to associate the toddle with Chicago. A variation of the toddle, which focused on movements of the hips rather than the feet, was called “the Chicago toddle” or simply “the Chicago.” In 1921, a print advertiseme