Skip to main content

The Second City on the Third Coast


People are bathing at a sandy beach on South 76th Street in Chicago, likely in the 1920s.
Published by Max Rigot Selling Co., Chicago.

European explorers who first encountered Lake Michigan and the four other Great Lakes described the huge bodies of water as “inland seas.” In a way they were correct. These glacial lakes contain 90 percent of the fresh water in the United States and 20 percent of all surface water in the world, according to environmental groups. And Chicago, which is located near the southwestern portion of Lake Michigan, was built at its current site for only one reason: to use the resources of this huge freshwater lake for drinking, fishing, building and transportation.

Some people today refer to the Great Lakes region as the “third coast,” noting that the nearby state of Michigan borders more coastline than any other state–yes, even more shoreline than California and Florida. Chicago has about 28 miles of shoreline on the lakefront. The city also has over 20 sandy beaches and even a popular lakefront recreational path that runs from the north side to the south side.
A large group of people fishing on a pier in Chicago in the very early 1900s.
Published by V.O. Hammon Publishing Co., Chicago.

In the late 19th century, many parts of the lake in Chicago were inaccessible, as industry took over almost all of the shoreline. There were huge steel mills on the far south side of the city, along with other industrial boat shipping dock areas. Even a train line running adjacent to the lake cut off access for many people. In the late 19th century, city visionaries like the mail order magnate Aaron Montgomery Ward began a campaign to transform the shoreline into “forever open, clear and free,” according to the Chicago Tribune.

After several court battles, Ward and others forced the city to create and maintain open space along the lakefront. It was Ward’s legacy along with the work of preservationists that gave us this recreational gem. The following postcards display the lakefront along with the ways people enjoyed it.



People bathing at a beach in Jackson Park. The postcard is postmarked from Chicago
 on December 1, 1907. Published by Alfred Holzman, Chicago-Leipzig.


Vehicles and buggies on Sheridan Drive (now Lake Shore Drive) in Chicago. This postcard
is postmarked May 18, 1907. Published by E.C. Kropp Publishing, Milwaukee.

Oak Street Beach where Lake Shore Drive meets North Michigan Avenue.Published by Cameo Greeting Card Co., Chicago.

Several individuals walk along Lake Michigan with high waves
at Jackson Park Beach. Published by V.O. Hammon Publishing Co., Chicago.


 A comic postcard from the Sunshine Beach at the Chicago World's Fair in 1933. Published by Curt Teich & Co., Chicago.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marshall Field's at Christmas

  The aisle on the first floor of the State Street store is 358 feet long. Postcard publisher is unknown.  Many Chicagoans continue to miss visiting Marshall Field’s during the holiday season. Just talking about the famed Christmas windows and holiday decorations brings about memories of the department store’s glory days. Many of us can recall the strong smell of perfume that would greet visitors upon entering the flagship State Street store, along with the huge white Romanesque columns decorated with Christmas fare on the first floor. The real fun, however, was taking the elevator to the 7 th floor to get a glimpse of the giant Christmas tree inside the Walnut Room restaurant. The best place to view the tree was one floor up on a balcony area. Christmas decorations on the first floor. Postcard publisher is unknown.  Frango mint chocolates were piled high in various areas throughout the store, and many visitors couldn’t resist buying a box. Frango chocolates were once made in a kitc

Postcard Spotlight: Marina City in 3-D

A 3-D image of the Marina City towers on State Street and the Chicago River at night. The back of the postcard indicates that the towers are 60 stories tall and boast 896 apartments. The buildings also have 20 floors of auto parking and a 600-boat parking area. At the time of the printing of this postcard in the 1960s, Marina City also had a movie theater, shops, restaurants, a swimming pool, a skating rink, and a 3-acre park. The total cost of construction was $36 million.  Postcard published by Aero Distributing Co., Inc., of Chicago. Photo by Bill Engdahl with Hedrich Blessing Photographers.  The postcard is a Curteichcolor 3-D natural color reproduction.

Lost Souls on Chicago's Forgotten Suicide Bridge

On this postcard, the bridge is called Suicide Bridge instead of its official name High Bridge. Postcard publication is unknown.  A tall pedestrian bridge that was built over the Lincoln Park Lagoon in 1894 was later dubbed “Suicide Bridge” after the structure became a popular place for people to take their own lives . It is believed that about 100 people jumped off of the bridge during its 25 years. Located south of Fullerton and east of Lincoln Park Zoo near Webster Avenue (originally called Asylum Place), High Bridge allowed pedestrians to cross from Lincoln Park to the lakefront. At 75 feet--or four stories--tall, the bridge was built high enough to allow sailboats to pass underneath. It was so high that people standing on the bridge on a clear day could see as far as the stockyards, Jackson Park, and the steel mills.   High Bridge was featured in a chase scene in the 1916 film Cousin Jim . The stuntman hired to jump off the bridge refused to do it because he thought