Skip to main content

Where Shall We Eat?

J.H. Ireland Oyster House at 632-8 Clark Street.
Published by American Colortype of Chicago & New York.

Patrons visiting J.H. Ireland Oyster House might eat in the marine dining room, the banquet room or the lobster grotto room, which like the vintage postcard of the restaurant shows a painting of a giant red lobster on the ceiling.

A description on the back of the Ireland postcard raves that the restaurant is the largest exclusive seafood restaurant in the United States. Now that’s an astonishing feat to consider when the closest ocean to Chicago is almost a thousand miles away.

But it was pretty common for postcards that promote restaurants at the time to declare they were the best. Postcard collectors often find humor in this. They also enjoy the images of the sleek old-fashioned restaurants. Some postcards also show images of people at the restaurants with interesting expressions and wearing clothing from the time.

The Palmer House Empire Room restaurant.
Published by Genuine Curteich of Chicago.

At the time of the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition, there were 600 restaurants in the city, with new ones opening up every day, according to the book Chicago by Day and Night: The Pleasure Seeker’s Guide to the Paris of America. The book indicates that there were restaurants of all grades back then, including a place where you could get a meal for 10 cents or have a full dining experience for a dollar. Some of the best restaurants in the city were located inside hotels, like the Empire Room restaurant in the Palmer House Hotel. The remainder of the restaurants were scattered around the city.

It wasn’t uncommon for restaurants at the time to provide dancing, musical performances and other types of shows. There were also at least three restaurants in 1893 that provided its customers private dining rooms. The rooms were converted from small apartments to eating areas.

By far the most popular dishes at the time were meat-based meals. Many postcards describe serving chops, steaks, seafood and even wild game like deer venison. Math Igler’s Casino restaurant on Melrose St. served German cuisine. The restaurant was also the home to singing waiters, and an image on the postcard shows them dressed in German entire.

The last postcard displayed on this blog is the New Forum Cafeteria at 60 W. Madison St. According to the description on the back of the postcard, the New Forum is “one of the most beautiful cafeterias in America.” The descriptions adds, “Dine in an atmosphere of salon luxury at reasonable prices.” The only other thing I wonder is if this cafeteria served tater tots.

Math Igler's Casino restaurant on Melrose St.
Published by Genuine Curteich of Chicago.

New Forum Cafeteria, 64 W. Madison St.
Published by Genuine Curteich of Chicago


Popular posts from this blog

Going to Graceland

Graceland Cemetery is also known for its beautiful landscape and magnificent trees. Postcard printed by V.O. Hammon of Chicago. Situated at Irving Park Rd. and Clark St. near Wrigley Field is Graceland Cemetery, a scenic 119-acre burial ground and arboretum where many of Chicago’s elite have been laid to rest. The cemetery was established in 1860 by lawyer Thomas Bryan and designed by landscape architects H.W.S. Cleveland, Ossian Simonds, and William Le Baron Jenney, who is also known for designing the first skyscraper. Graceland became famous as the “Cemetery of Architects.” Along with its three designers, other prominent architects who are buried in Graceland include Louis Sullivan, who designed the Carson Pirie Scott building; Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who designed Chicago’s Federal Center; and Fazlur Khan, who designed the Sears Tower and John Hancock Center. The grave of architect Daniel Burnham, who was chief of construction for the 1893 Columbian Exposition, lies on a small, wo

Lost Souls on Chicago's Forgotten Suicide Bridge

On this postcard, the bridge is called Suicide Bridge instead of its official name High Bridge. Postcard publication is unknown.  A tall pedestrian bridge that was built over the Lincoln Park Lagoon in 1894 was later dubbed “Suicide Bridge” after the structure became a popular place for people to take their own lives . It is believed that about 100 people jumped off of the bridge during its 25 years. Located south of Fullerton and east of Lincoln Park Zoo near Webster Avenue (originally called Asylum Place), High Bridge allowed pedestrians to cross from Lincoln Park to the lakefront. At 75 feet--or four stories--tall, the bridge was built high enough to allow sailboats to pass underneath. It was so high that people standing on the bridge on a clear day could see as far as the stockyards, Jackson Park, and the steel mills.   High Bridge was featured in a chase scene in the 1916 film Cousin Jim . The stuntman hired to jump off the bridge refused to do it because he thought

The Most Haunted Hotel in Chicago

  The Congress Hotel at 520 S. Michigan is "one of the most beautiful hotels in the middle west," according to this postcard. Published by the Aero Distributing Co., Chicago. The Congress Plaza Hotel at 520 S. Michigan Avenue is one of Chicago’s oldest and largest hotels. It was also one of the tallest buildings in Chicago for a time. With over 800 hotel rooms and so many people coming and going over the years, the Congress Plaza has seen its share of accidents, drug overdoses, murders, and suicides, earning it the distinction of being the most haunted hotel in the city. The Congress Plaza Hotel was built in 1893 to house visitors to the World’s Columbian Exhibition. In the 1920s, mobster Al Capone was known to play cards on Friday nights in a meeting room at the hotel. According to the Choose Chicago website, Capone also had a private suite on the hotel’s eighth floor. Some say that ghosts of the victims of the 1929 St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, which was believed to be or