Skip to main content

Riverview Amusement Park

The entrance gate at Riverview Amusement Park. Published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc., of Chicago. From the postcard archives at the Newberry Library in Chicago 

Memories and a few postcards are some of the only things left of Riverview Amusement Park. The park has given many Baby Boomers some of the fondest memories of their childhood, as it has for Alice Belmont, a resident living in a northwest suburb of Chicago. Belmont remembers visiting the amusement park at least once as a child.

 “I don’t remember which rides I went on, but I do remember the big sign with the [man wearing the turban],” she said. The massive cutout of an image of the man with the turban was at the entrance of the Aladdin’s Castle funhouse exhibit.

The Blue Streak roller coaster. Postcard published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc., of Chicago.
From the postcard archives of the Newberry Library in Chicago.

Not far from the castle was the freak show exhibit, which at one time featured a girl with four legs as well as magician Marshall Brodien, who would play Wizzo the Wizard on the “Bozo Show” on WGN Television. Belmont remembers another performer near the area rolling on a skate board with no legs.

The 74-acre Riverview park adjacent to the north branch of the Chicago River near Belmont Ave. and Western Ave. operated from 1904 to 1967. The park first served as a sharpshooter park with many targets set up in the area, according to the Chicago Time Machine website. Many deer living in the woods were hunted at the site.

While the men were having fun shooting their guns, the wives and children complained of nothing to do, and in 1906 the owners commissioned Swiss and Italian woodcarvers to build a 70-horse carousel for their amusement. The carousel is actually still in operation today at Six Flags in Atlanta, Georgia, and was listed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1995.

The Silver Flash roller coaster. Postcard published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc., of Chicago.
From the postcard archives of the Newberry Library in Chicago.

The park continued to grow and grow over the years and had several popular roller coasters like the Blue Streak and Silver Flash.Two other rides that people often recall include the Shoot the Chute water ride and the Pair-o-Chutes drop ride. The Shoot the Chute ride allowed several people to sit in a wooden boat that went up a ramp before plunging downward into a pool of water. A park employee would ride in the back of the boat and perform a maneuver to prevent the boat from capsizing in the pool.

The Pair-o-Chutes drop was both frightening and fun for many people. The seat, which resembled a leather child’s swing, would hold only two people. The seat and parachute above would be pulled up about two hundred feet before it would open and glide the riders quickly to the ground. The ride had ropes that could stop it in case of a malfunction.

Roller coasters at Riverview. Postcard published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc., of Chicago.
From the postcard archives of the Newberry Library in Chicago.

Just before Riverview closed in 1967, the park had 120 rides, including six roller coasters and a midway, according to the Chicago Tribune. More than 1.7 million people visited the park in its last year, nearly as many people who attended the Cubs and White Sox games combined in that year. The owners, however, suddenly sold the site for more than $6 million to developers.

While some say the park’s closing was economical, others have rumored that violence was beginning to plague the park. Whatever the reason for its closing, Riverview was a fun outlet for children and adults for almost six decades, and provided great memories that that still live for many people today.

A four-minute video about Riverview appears at the bottom of this post.

The Shoot the Chute water ride. Postcard published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc., of Chicago.
From the postcard archives of the Newberry Library in Chicago.

Riverview Amusement Park at night. Postcard published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc., of Chicago.
From the  postcard archives of the Newberry Library in Chicago.

Postcard of Aladdin's Castle published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc., of Chicago. 
From the postcard archives of the Newberry Library in Chicago.

A photograph of Marshall Brodien, who played Wizzo the Wizard on the “Bozo Show."
 He died last  year at his home in Geneva, IL. This is a photograph from WGN and is not a postcard.

Riverview Video from YouTube 


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Going to Graceland

Graceland Cemetery is also known for its beautiful landscape and magnificent trees. Postcard printed by V.O. Hammon of Chicago. Situated at Irving Park Rd. and Clark St. near Wrigley Field is Graceland Cemetery, a scenic 119-acre burial ground and arboretum where many of Chicago’s elite have been laid to rest. The cemetery was established in 1860 by lawyer Thomas Bryan and designed by landscape architects H.W.S. Cleveland, Ossian Simonds, and William Le Baron Jenney, who is also known for designing the first skyscraper. Graceland became famous as the “Cemetery of Architects.” Along with its three designers, other prominent architects who are buried in Graceland include Louis Sullivan, who designed the Carson Pirie Scott building; Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who designed Chicago’s Federal Center; and Fazlur Khan, who designed the Sears Tower and John Hancock Center. The grave of architect Daniel Burnham, who was chief of construction for the 1893 Columbian Exposition, lies on a small, wo

Lost Souls on Chicago's Forgotten Suicide Bridge

On this postcard, the bridge is called Suicide Bridge instead of its official name High Bridge. Postcard publication is unknown.  A tall pedestrian bridge that was built over the Lincoln Park Lagoon in 1894 was later dubbed “Suicide Bridge” after the structure became a popular place for people to take their own lives . It is believed that about 100 people jumped off of the bridge during its 25 years. Located south of Fullerton and east of Lincoln Park Zoo near Webster Avenue (originally called Asylum Place), High Bridge allowed pedestrians to cross from Lincoln Park to the lakefront. At 75 feet--or four stories--tall, the bridge was built high enough to allow sailboats to pass underneath. It was so high that people standing on the bridge on a clear day could see as far as the stockyards, Jackson Park, and the steel mills.   High Bridge was featured in a chase scene in the 1916 film Cousin Jim . The stuntman hired to jump off the bridge refused to do it because he thought

The Most Haunted Hotel in Chicago

  The Congress Hotel at 520 S. Michigan is "one of the most beautiful hotels in the middle west," according to this postcard. Published by the Aero Distributing Co., Chicago. The Congress Plaza Hotel at 520 S. Michigan Avenue is one of Chicago’s oldest and largest hotels. It was also one of the tallest buildings in Chicago for a time. With over 800 hotel rooms and so many people coming and going over the years, the Congress Plaza has seen its share of accidents, drug overdoses, murders, and suicides, earning it the distinction of being the most haunted hotel in the city. The Congress Plaza Hotel was built in 1893 to house visitors to the World’s Columbian Exhibition. In the 1920s, mobster Al Capone was known to play cards on Friday nights in a meeting room at the hotel. According to the Choose Chicago website, Capone also had a private suite on the hotel’s eighth floor. Some say that ghosts of the victims of the 1929 St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, which was believed to be or