Skip to main content

The YMCA in Chicago



People play games and socialize on a rooftop garden at the YMCA at 826 S. Wabash Ave.
Published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc. of Chicago.

Numerous vintage postcards depict images that reinforce the lyrics “It’s fun to stay at the YMCA” by the band the Village People. The Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) group printed postcards with images of YMCA Chicago facilities that show people dancing, playing games and sleeping in private rooms that are decorated with themes.

One postcard in particular shows the Marine Room, which is decorated with an ocean theme. Rates for the Marine Room and other rooms ranged from 75 cents to $2.50 per day in the 1930s. Many YMCA facilities also offered weekly rates to lodgers.

The city’s first YMCA building, Farwell Hall, opened in 1867 and is named after its benefactor, John V. Farwell, who was a dry-goods merchant, according to the Encyclopedia of Chicago. The building had a library and a parlor for its members, but lacked dormitories and a gymnasium.

The construction of a new 13-story YMCA building on LaSalle Street in 1893 included a bowling alley and a swimming pool. And a YMCA hotel opened in 1916 in the south loop. It also served young immigrants and offered English classes and job placement services. Another YMCA building was constructed in 1913 on South Wabash Ave. to serve the African-American community.

The Lawson YMCA, at 30 W. Chicago Ave. had 650 rooms.
Published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc. of  Chicago.


A huge expansion program in the 1920s focused on constructing YMCA buildings in almost every neighborhood. In 1931, the association dropped the requirement for affiliation with the evangelical church and allowed women to join and stay at the facilities. The church, however, remained central to the organization until 1947, when leaders changed their policy to include people of all customs and religions.

Many people would stay at the YMCA when visiting from other towns, while others lived at the facilities that provided people with long-term stay rentals. These facilities helped fill a specific housing gap at the time, as more “men only” and “women and children only” hotels began to disappear over the years and eventually turn into upscale housing.

Most YMCA groups around the country today mainly provide athletic and learning facilities. There are some YMCA groups, however, that still rent small rooms, such as the Irving Park YMCA of Metro Chicago. Rates there start at $410 per month. Individuals who have been convicted of felonies or sexual offenses are not allowed to stay at the facility.

So whether you’re living in the inner city or the wealthy suburbs, a YMCA is probably in your neighborhood and is still a fun place, regardless if one stays there or just uses its facilities for a few hours.



The YMCA on Wabash Ave. had 2,000 fireproof rooms.
Published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc., of Chicago.



The Marine Room at the YMCA at 826 S. Wabash Ave. is walking distance to the beach.
Published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc., of Chicago.

The YMCA on Wabash once offered rooms for transient men before allowing women.
Published by E.C. Kropp Co. of Milwaukee.



This very old postcard is believed to show an image of the YMCA
constructed on LaSalle Street in 1893.
Published by Kresge & Wilson of Detroit, printed in Germany.


A postcard with a map shows certain points of interest.
Published by Curt Teich & Co., Inc., of Chicago.













Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Souls on Chicago's Forgotten Suicide Bridge

On this postcard, the bridge is called Suicide Bridge instead of its official name High Bridge. Postcard publication is unknown.  A tall pedestrian bridge that was built over the Lincoln Park Lagoon in 1894 was later dubbed “Suicide Bridge” after the structure became a popular place for people to take their own lives . It is believed that about 100 people jumped off of the bridge during its 25 years. Located south of Fullerton and east of Lincoln Park Zoo near Webster Avenue (originally called Asylum Place), High Bridge allowed pedestrians to cross from Lincoln Park to the lakefront. At 75 feet--or four stories--tall, the bridge was built high enough to allow sailboats to pass underneath. It was so high that people standing on the bridge on a clear day could see as far as the stockyards, Jackson Park, and the steel mills.   High Bridge was featured in a chase scene in the 1916 film Cousin Jim . The stuntman hired to jump off the bridge refused to do it because he thought

Saucy Salads and Sandwiches at the Edgewater Beach Hotel

 The grounds of the Edgewater Beach Hotel. Postcard published by Curt Teich Co., Chicago.  Seeing the pink high-rise Edgewater Beach Apartments on Sheridan Road near Bryn Mawr Avenue makes one think of the famed Edgewater Beach Hotel structures that once stood nearby. In its heyday in the 1920s through the 1940s, the hotel was a popular spot with honeymooners and visiting celebrities alike. You could also eat one heck of a salad or sandwich there. Arnold Shircliffe, who worked as the catering manager at the hotel, wrote A Book of Salads in 1926 and The Edgewater Sandwich Book in 1930. A sampling of recipes from these cookbooks shows that Shircliffe knew how to elevate these everyday convenience foods into works of art. He also had very different ideas about salads and sandwiches than what we typically eat today. The Colonnade Room at the Edgewater Beach Hotel. Postcard published by Max Rigot Selling Agency of Chicago.  A Book of Salads was referred to as “the bi

The Most Haunted Hotel in Chicago

  The Congress Hotel at 520 S. Michigan is "one of the most beautiful hotels in the middle west," according to this postcard. Published by the Aero Distributing Co., Chicago. The Congress Plaza Hotel at 520 S. Michigan Avenue is one of Chicago’s oldest and largest hotels. It was also one of the tallest buildings in Chicago for a time. With over 800 hotel rooms and so many people coming and going over the years, the Congress Plaza has seen its share of accidents, drug overdoses, murders, and suicides, earning it the distinction of being the most haunted hotel in the city. The Congress Plaza Hotel was built in 1893 to house visitors to the World’s Columbian Exhibition. In the 1920s, mobster Al Capone was known to play cards on Friday nights in a meeting room at the hotel. According to the Choose Chicago website, Capone also had a private suite on the hotel’s eighth floor. Some say that ghosts of the victims of the 1929 St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, which was believed to be or