Skip to main content

The Early Days of Chicago


Native Americans and white settlers lived on the Chicago River in 1833. Published by V.O. Hammon Publishing Co. of Chicago.

In the year 1491, just one year before Europeans landed in the New World, everything in the Americas was still pristine, including the southwestern tip of the Lake Michigan shoreline with its rolling sand dunes and swales. The tallgrass prairie that began west of Chicago must have also been an amazing sight, as it seemed to stretch out as far as the setting sun.

And just south of the lake, the Grand Kankakee Marsh, known in later years as the Everglades of the north, contained an abundance of wildlife, including birds and plants that are now extinct.

The area was first home to Native American tribes like the Potawatomi, Miami and Illinois peoples. The city got its name from the Algonquin word “Shikaakwa,” or “Chicagou,meaning “skunk” or “smelly onions.” Historians believe the plants with this unique aroma were actually wild garlic that grew along the Chicago River.

The first European to explore Chicago was Jacques Marquette in the 1680s. A black Frenchman named Jean Baptiste Point du Sable was the first person to settle in the area.  He established a trading settlement in the 1790s near the mouth of the Chicago River.

Fort Dearborn was built in 1803 on the river for white soldiers and their families. Nine years later, the fort was ordered to be evacuated due to hostilities between the Native Americans and whites. Many whites were killed during a surprise attack after evacuating the fort. The fort was then burned down. A second fort was built at the site in 1816. Native American populations around this time began to decrease due to warfare and disease. Others were forced to move west by the U.S. government.

A replica of Fort Dearborn was built at the Chicago's World Fair in 1933. Published by Curt Teich Co., Inc., of Chicago. Postcard image provided by the Newberry Library in Chicago.


While the early days of Chicago may be gone, they are not forgotten, as historians produced some really cool postcards showing artistic renderings of the time. A replica of the Fort Dearborn site was also built at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1933. It was a very popular attraction, and many postcards of the Fort replica were produced.

One of my favorite postcards resembles a Christmas card. There is snow on the ground and little people stand next to a sleigh in front of the Sauganash Hotel, the first inn that opened in Chicago in 1833. The bright moon in the night sky allows one to see tiny houses near the river. And it’s the same river that now has skyscrapers along it that can reach high into the clouds.



The Sauganash Hotel, Chicago's first inn, among tiny houses along the Chicago River in 1833. Published by the Chicago Historical Society. 



A farm with a girl and ducks at 47th Street and Cottage Grove Ave. in 1888. Published by V.O. Hammon Publishing Co. of Chicago. 


A postcard from the Indiana Dunes taken in the 1950s looks similar to the original Chicago coastline. Published by Harvey's Studio, Lebanon, Indiana. 

Comments

  1. The Fort Dearborn was not a surprise attack. They had plenty of warning, that's why they were leaving. I present an In-Depth Analysis of the Fort Dearborn Massacre on August 15, 1812. The likes you've never read about before.

    https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/2018/07/an-in-depth-analysis-of-the-battle-of-fort-dearborn.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Souls on Chicago's Forgotten Suicide Bridge

On this postcard, the bridge is called Suicide Bridge instead of its official name High Bridge. Postcard publication is unknown.  A tall pedestrian bridge that was built over the Lincoln Park Lagoon in 1894 was later dubbed “Suicide Bridge” after the structure became a popular place for people to take their own lives . It is believed that about 100 people jumped off of the bridge during its 25 years. Located south of Fullerton and east of Lincoln Park Zoo near Webster Avenue (originally called Asylum Place), High Bridge allowed pedestrians to cross from Lincoln Park to the lakefront. At 75 feet--or four stories--tall, the bridge was built high enough to allow sailboats to pass underneath. It was so high that people standing on the bridge on a clear day could see as far as the stockyards, Jackson Park, and the steel mills.   High Bridge was featured in a chase scene in the 1916 film Cousin Jim . The stuntman hired to jump off the bridge refused to do it because he thought

Saucy Salads and Sandwiches at the Edgewater Beach Hotel

 The grounds of the Edgewater Beach Hotel. Postcard published by Curt Teich Co., Chicago.  Seeing the pink high-rise Edgewater Beach Apartments on Sheridan Road near Bryn Mawr Avenue makes one think of the famed Edgewater Beach Hotel structures that once stood nearby. In its heyday in the 1920s through the 1940s, the hotel was a popular spot with honeymooners and visiting celebrities alike. You could also eat one heck of a salad or sandwich there. Arnold Shircliffe, who worked as the catering manager at the hotel, wrote A Book of Salads in 1926 and The Edgewater Sandwich Book in 1930. A sampling of recipes from these cookbooks shows that Shircliffe knew how to elevate these everyday convenience foods into works of art. He also had very different ideas about salads and sandwiches than what we typically eat today. The Colonnade Room at the Edgewater Beach Hotel. Postcard published by Max Rigot Selling Agency of Chicago.  A Book of Salads was referred to as “the bi

The Most Haunted Hotel in Chicago

  The Congress Hotel at 520 S. Michigan is "one of the most beautiful hotels in the middle west," according to this postcard. Published by the Aero Distributing Co., Chicago. The Congress Plaza Hotel at 520 S. Michigan Avenue is one of Chicago’s oldest and largest hotels. It was also one of the tallest buildings in Chicago for a time. With over 800 hotel rooms and so many people coming and going over the years, the Congress Plaza has seen its share of accidents, drug overdoses, murders, and suicides, earning it the distinction of being the most haunted hotel in the city. The Congress Plaza Hotel was built in 1893 to house visitors to the World’s Columbian Exhibition. In the 1920s, mobster Al Capone was known to play cards on Friday nights in a meeting room at the hotel. According to the Choose Chicago website, Capone also had a private suite on the hotel’s eighth floor. Some say that ghosts of the victims of the 1929 St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, which was believed to be or