Skip to main content

Jane Addams's Hull House

A message on the back of this postcard says the image is of the first playground built by Jane Addams. The postcard was sent on July 8, 1910 to Buckeye, IL from Chicago. The postcard was printed in Germany.

Life was difficult for the many poor immigrants who settled on Chicago’s West Side. Not only was the neighborhood very dirty, it was also congested and dangerous at times. Jane Addams’s Hull House brought hope to the neighborhood.

Hull House offered an array of activities like swimming, art and English classes, employment services, and the opportunity to meet others. Hull House ous offered many activities for children and incorporated a child day care center to allow more women the ability to work.  

The story of Hull House began in 1889 when Jane Addams and her friend Ellen Starr leased a large home built by Charles Hull at 800 S. Halsted, near Polk Street. Their intention was to set up a settlement house like one they had previously visited in London to help Chicago’s immigrant community.

The neighborhood surrounding Hull House in the early 20th century was home to Italian, German, Polish, Jewish, and Irish immigrants. Later, Mexicans and African-Americans would also put down roots in and around the neighborhood. 

Children of the Ghetto (as stated on the postcard) surround the ice cream man while being idle and having nothing to do. Postcard was published by V.O. Hammond Publishing Co. of Chicago.



Hull House became a vibrant community and cultural center. The center grew to become a complex of thirteen buildings that included a public kitchen, an art studio and gallery, a gymnasium and pool, a music school, a drama group, and a library. 

Jane Addams is known as a trailblazer in the field of social work, but she took on many roles from fundraiser, volunteer coordinator, and political activist to postmaster of her local post office and even garbage inspector of Chicago’s Nineteenth Ward.  

Addams didn’t receive support from everyone and was targeted by some who accused her of being a Communist and Socialist. People even tried to damper the image of Hull House with rumors that it was haunted by a cursed “devil baby” who was fathered by Satan, born to a local woman, and hidden away in the settlement house. While visitors wanting to see this “devil baby” were politely turned away and told that no such child existed, Addams observed that the urban legend especially resonated with women who struggled with poverty and domestic violence and perhaps saw the baby as a reflection of their own suffering. 

Today, the original Hull House building and Residents’ Dining Hall are a museum and testament to Addams’ legacy. While not many postcards depicting the West Side neighborhood have been printed, several postcards of the exterior of Hull House became popular. One postcard featuring a playground named after Addams near the Hull House site was distributed at the time. More postcards depicting Jane Addams were probably printed in small quantities by historical groups and organizations. 

Written by Emily Ruzich



 Hull House grew substantially over the years. Postcard published by Max Riggot Selling Co. of Chicago.



Hull House provides immigrants and children with a place to learn. Postcard published by Curt Teich & Co. of Chicago.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to Graceland

Graceland Cemetery is also known for its beautiful landscape and magnificent trees. Postcard printed by V.O. Hammon of Chicago. Situated at Irving Park Rd. and Clark St. near Wrigley Field is Graceland Cemetery, a scenic 119-acre burial ground and arboretum where many of Chicago’s elite have been laid to rest. The cemetery was established in 1860 by lawyer Thomas Bryan and designed by landscape architects H.W.S. Cleveland, Ossian Simonds, and William Le Baron Jenney, who is also known for designing the first skyscraper. Graceland became famous as the “Cemetery of Architects.” Along with its three designers, other prominent architects who are buried in Graceland include Louis Sullivan, who designed the Carson Pirie Scott building; Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who designed Chicago’s Federal Center; and Fazlur Khan, who designed the Sears Tower and John Hancock Center. The grave of architect Daniel Burnham, who was chief of construction for the 1893 Columbian Exposition, lies on a small, wo

Lost Souls on Chicago's Forgotten Suicide Bridge

On this postcard, the bridge is called Suicide Bridge instead of its official name High Bridge. Postcard publication is unknown.  A tall pedestrian bridge that was built over the Lincoln Park Lagoon in 1894 was later dubbed “Suicide Bridge” after the structure became a popular place for people to take their own lives . It is believed that about 100 people jumped off of the bridge during its 25 years. Located south of Fullerton and east of Lincoln Park Zoo near Webster Avenue (originally called Asylum Place), High Bridge allowed pedestrians to cross from Lincoln Park to the lakefront. At 75 feet--or four stories--tall, the bridge was built high enough to allow sailboats to pass underneath. It was so high that people standing on the bridge on a clear day could see as far as the stockyards, Jackson Park, and the steel mills.   High Bridge was featured in a chase scene in the 1916 film Cousin Jim . The stuntman hired to jump off the bridge refused to do it because he thought

The Most Haunted Hotel in Chicago

  The Congress Hotel at 520 S. Michigan is "one of the most beautiful hotels in the middle west," according to this postcard. Published by the Aero Distributing Co., Chicago. The Congress Plaza Hotel at 520 S. Michigan Avenue is one of Chicago’s oldest and largest hotels. It was also one of the tallest buildings in Chicago for a time. With over 800 hotel rooms and so many people coming and going over the years, the Congress Plaza has seen its share of accidents, drug overdoses, murders, and suicides, earning it the distinction of being the most haunted hotel in the city. The Congress Plaza Hotel was built in 1893 to house visitors to the World’s Columbian Exhibition. In the 1920s, mobster Al Capone was known to play cards on Friday nights in a meeting room at the hotel. According to the Choose Chicago website, Capone also had a private suite on the hotel’s eighth floor. Some say that ghosts of the victims of the 1929 St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, which was believed to be or