Skip to main content

Brand Your Initials onto a Steak at the Stock Yard Inn


The Stock Yard Inn, located near the Union Stock Yards. Postcard published by Max Rigot Selling Co., Chicago. 

In the Sirloin Room at the Stock Yard Inn, customers could pick their own steaks and brand their initials onto the meat with a hot iron. The restaurant offered this option so that diners could verify that the cooked steak on their plate was the piece of meat they had selected.

The sprawling, Tudor-style hotel and restaurant was located at 42nd Street and Halsted Street, next to the International Amphitheatre and the Union Stock Yards. Cattlemen would stay at the hotel to conduct business, often after dropping off livestock at the yards.

The Sirloin Room at the Stock Yard Inn. Postcard from the Chicago in History Postcards website. 


The Stock Yard Inn was also popular among tourists. Several U.S. presidents stayed at the inn and held events at the adjacent amphitheater. A 1955 advertisement that appeared in the Chicago Tribune indicates that the banquet rooms at the inn could hold 20 to 5,000 people. The advertisement also states that “Our good neighbors in ‘The Yards’ reserve the very best for the Stock Yard Inn. Our chef carefully cuts and properly ages all steaks for true enjoyment.”


The International Amphitheatre near the Stock Yard Inn. Postcard image provided by the Chicago History in Postcards website. 

The Stock Yard Inn is credited with helping Chicago become known as a “steak town.” Many meat connoisseurs preferred the taste of Midwest grain-fed animals compared to cows that ate grass, according to some past articles from the dining section of the newspaper.

The restaurant and inn stood for 65 years before facing the wrecking ball in 1976. The closing of the stock yards in 1971 made it difficult for the inn to stay open. Many events were also moved to McCormick Place instead of the amphitheater, enticing visitors to stay closer to the downtown area.

The International Amphitheatre was built in 1934 for $1.5 million by the Stock Yard Company. It was mainly used to host livestock exhibitions. In later years, popular music acts played at the amphitheater, but many started to shift their venues to the McCormick Place.

There are only a few postcards of the Stock Yard Inn but more of the International Amphitheatre. There are so many postcards of the stock yards in general that some people just exclusively collect them. Most stock yard postcards are also worth more than postcards with other images of Chicago.

The International Amphitheatre near the Union Stock Yards. Postcard image provided by the Chicago History in Postcards website. 

The Stock Yards in Chicago. Postcard produced by the Gerson Bros., Chicago. 

The Stock Yards in Chicago. Postcard produced by Colorpicture, Boston.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Souls on Chicago's Forgotten Suicide Bridge

On this postcard, the bridge is called Suicide Bridge instead of its official name High Bridge. Postcard publication is unknown.  A tall pedestrian bridge that was built over the Lincoln Park Lagoon in 1894 was later dubbed “Suicide Bridge” after the structure became a popular place for people to take their own lives . It is believed that about 100 people jumped off of the bridge during its 25 years. Located south of Fullerton and east of Lincoln Park Zoo near Webster Avenue (originally called Asylum Place), High Bridge allowed pedestrians to cross from Lincoln Park to the lakefront. At 75 feet--or four stories--tall, the bridge was built high enough to allow sailboats to pass underneath. It was so high that people standing on the bridge on a clear day could see as far as the stockyards, Jackson Park, and the steel mills.   High Bridge was featured in a chase scene in the 1916 film Cousin Jim . The stuntman hired to jump off the bridge refused to do it because he thought

Marshall Field's at Christmas

  The aisle on the first floor of the State Street store is 358 feet long. Postcard publisher is unknown.  Many Chicagoans continue to miss visiting Marshall Field’s during the holiday season. Just talking about the famed Christmas windows and holiday decorations brings about memories of the department store’s glory days. Many of us can recall the strong smell of perfume that would greet visitors upon entering the flagship State Street store, along with the huge white Romanesque columns decorated with Christmas fare on the first floor. The real fun, however, was taking the elevator to the 7 th floor to get a glimpse of the giant Christmas tree inside the Walnut Room restaurant. The best place to view the tree was one floor up on a balcony area. Christmas decorations on the first floor. Postcard publisher is unknown.  Frango mint chocolates were piled high in various areas throughout the store, and many visitors couldn’t resist buying a box. Frango chocolates were once made in a kitc

Putting the “Toddle” Back in “That Toddling Town”

  Postcard designed and sold by appshop. The “toddle” was a jazz dance step that became popular across the nation just in time for the Roaring Twenties. And Chicago became known as “that toddling town” thanks to the lyrics of Fred Fisher’s 1922 song “Chicago (That Toddling Town).” While many still know Frank Sinatra’s famous cover version of that song, the dance step has largely been forgotten. In a 1921 South Bend News-Times article, dance teacher Arthur Murray describes the toddle as having the “delightful abandon so characteristic of everything American.” According to Murray, the toddle was similar to the shimmy but without the shoulder shakes. It also bore a resemblance to the fox trot but with an extra bounce added to the steps. Songwriter Fred Fisher was not the first to associate the toddle with Chicago. A variation of the toddle, which focused on movements of the hips rather than the feet, was called “the Chicago toddle” or simply “the Chicago.” In 1921, a print advertiseme