Skip to main content

Chicago's Chop Suey Controversy


A Chinese-American restaurant in Chinatown. This postcard is provided by the Chicago History in Postcards website. 

In the early 1900s, Chinese restaurants in Chicago became the target of various attempted restrictions. “Chop suey houses,” as they were often called, were seen as problematic for several reasons: they were usually owned by non-citizens, they were thought to lower property values, and some even thought that they corrupted America’s youth. This effort to limit the operation of Chinese restaurants was also part of the larger anti-immigrant sentiment of the time. 

A crowd at the King Joy Lo restaurant on Randolph Street. This postcard is provided by the Chicago History in Postcards website.

The first wave of Chinese immigrants came to the U.S. in the mid-1800s during the Gold Rush. In 1882, the Chinese Exclusion Act barred all Chinese immigrants from entering the U.S. except for students, teachers, diplomats, and merchants. When the federal court decided that restauranteurs fell under the category of merchants in the early 1900s, this led to a boom in Chinese restaurants opening up across the country. Chop suey was usually their main specialty. 

According to Smithsonian magazine, chop suey roughly translates to “assorted mix” and has been used as a general term to mean any sort of stir-fry made with a sauce. The ingredients used in the stir-fry depend on what happens to be available and popular, and the spice level is usually toned down to be acceptable to American palates.

Joy Yet Lo Co. provided separate tables for ladies and parties. Postcard publisher is unknown. 

According to the Chicago Tribune archives, some of the early Chinese restaurants in the city were located near the red light districts around Harrison Street and Cermak Road, and some developed a reputation for being rowdy places that kept late-night hours and attracted a bohemian clientele. In 1906, measures were proposed that would ban live music in Chinese restaurants in Chicago, prohibit young men under the age of 21 and young women under the age of 18 from entering after 10 p.m., and impose special taxes and licensing fees on these establishments. In the same year, a Chicago alderman proposed a law that would only allow U.S. citizens to obtain licenses to run restaurants, food shops, and food stands in the city. This law targeted Chinese restaurant owners (who could not become citizens at the time) as well as Italian and Greek immigrants who ran fruit stands, candy shops, and ice cream parlors. These laws were eventually struck down by City Hall.

King Wah Lo on Wabash Avenue. This postcard is provided by the Chicago History in Postcards website. 

But in 1911, a law that barred Chinese people from obtaining construction permits to build in the vicinity of Wabash Avenue and 23rd Street passed in the City Council due to concerns over depreciating property values in the neighborhood. In 1910, a Tribune editorial bemoaned the negative influence that Chinese restaurants supposedly had on young white women. The article claimed that these impressionable young women would become “hypnotized by the dreamy seductive music that is always on tap” at chop suey houses and would be lured to smoke, drink, and (heaven forbid) socialize with men of different ethnic backgrounds at these establishments. 

Moralist Samuel Wilson’s 1910 book Chicago by Gaslight includes a chapter devoted to the evils of chop suey houses. “It is amazing to see the number of young women who frequent these places and become surprisingly intimate with the men connected with the place,” Wilson wrote. In keeping with the anti-immigrant sentiment of the time, Wilson also devoted a chapter of his book to the evils of Greek-owned ice cream parlors, describing them as havens for young people to gather and engage in various immoral acts. (Wilson wrote another book titled Chicago and Its Cess-Pools of Infamy, and he generally considered the city to be a hotbed of sin.)

Yun Fong Lo Co. was open day and night and was located at 119 Madison Street. This postcard is provided by the Chicago History in Postcards website.


I’ve never ordered chop suey from a restaurant, but my mom used to make it for dinner sometimes when I was a kid. It seemed pretty exotic to me at the time. Even as recently as the 1990s, fading advertisements for chop suey houses could still be seen on the brick facades of many buildings in the city. 

Guey Sam's began serving Chinese food in 1901. This postcard is provided by the Chicago History in Postcards website. 

When Chinese restaurants today advertise chop suey on their neon signs, it seems like a relic of times past when it was the only Chinese dish that Americans would dare to eat. As Americans have become more likely to try more authentic Chinese fare, many Chinese restaurants no longer serve chop suey. But some still list it on their menus, serving as a reminder of earlier times when America was less accepting of immigrants and their cuisine. 

There happen to be many postcards dating as far back to 1903 that show images of Chinese restaurants in Chicago and their Far East décor.

-- Written by Emily Ruzich

The Wing Yee Restaurant with its Far Eastern interior design. Postcard provided by the Chicago History in Postcards website.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to Graceland

Graceland Cemetery is also known for its beautiful landscape and magnificent trees. Postcard printed by V.O. Hammon of Chicago. Situated at Irving Park Rd. and Clark St. near Wrigley Field is Graceland Cemetery, a scenic 119-acre burial ground and arboretum where many of Chicago’s elite have been laid to rest. The cemetery was established in 1860 by lawyer Thomas Bryan and designed by landscape architects H.W.S. Cleveland, Ossian Simonds, and William Le Baron Jenney, who is also known for designing the first skyscraper. Graceland became famous as the “Cemetery of Architects.” Along with its three designers, other prominent architects who are buried in Graceland include Louis Sullivan, who designed the Carson Pirie Scott building; Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who designed Chicago’s Federal Center; and Fazlur Khan, who designed the Sears Tower and John Hancock Center. The grave of architect Daniel Burnham, who was chief of construction for the 1893 Columbian Exposition, lies on a small, wo

Lost Souls on Chicago's Forgotten Suicide Bridge

On this postcard, the bridge is called Suicide Bridge instead of its official name High Bridge. Postcard publication is unknown.  A tall pedestrian bridge that was built over the Lincoln Park Lagoon in 1894 was later dubbed “Suicide Bridge” after the structure became a popular place for people to take their own lives . It is believed that about 100 people jumped off of the bridge during its 25 years. Located south of Fullerton and east of Lincoln Park Zoo near Webster Avenue (originally called Asylum Place), High Bridge allowed pedestrians to cross from Lincoln Park to the lakefront. At 75 feet--or four stories--tall, the bridge was built high enough to allow sailboats to pass underneath. It was so high that people standing on the bridge on a clear day could see as far as the stockyards, Jackson Park, and the steel mills.   High Bridge was featured in a chase scene in the 1916 film Cousin Jim . The stuntman hired to jump off the bridge refused to do it because he thought

The Most Haunted Hotel in Chicago

  The Congress Hotel at 520 S. Michigan is "one of the most beautiful hotels in the middle west," according to this postcard. Published by the Aero Distributing Co., Chicago. The Congress Plaza Hotel at 520 S. Michigan Avenue is one of Chicago’s oldest and largest hotels. It was also one of the tallest buildings in Chicago for a time. With over 800 hotel rooms and so many people coming and going over the years, the Congress Plaza has seen its share of accidents, drug overdoses, murders, and suicides, earning it the distinction of being the most haunted hotel in the city. The Congress Plaza Hotel was built in 1893 to house visitors to the World’s Columbian Exhibition. In the 1920s, mobster Al Capone was known to play cards on Friday nights in a meeting room at the hotel. According to the Choose Chicago website, Capone also had a private suite on the hotel’s eighth floor. Some say that ghosts of the victims of the 1929 St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, which was believed to be or