Skip to main content

Where Can A Lady Eat Around Here?

Club El Bianco at 2747 W. 63 St. Postcard published by Curt Teich Co., Chicago.

During the early 1900s, women had limited options for eating out. This posed a problem for women out on long errands or shopping trips, and it especially posed a problem for working women. What was a hungry lady in Chicago to do?

Chicago was home to about 8,000 saloons in the early twentieth century, and many offered free food with their drinks. However, it was not considered respectable for women to patronize these establishments, and many saloons officially banned women altogether.

The Berghoff Restaurant at 17 W. Adams St. Published by Thiessen Printing Corp., Chicago. Women were allowed in the restaurant area of The Berghoff but not the bar.

The Berghoff, located on Adams near State Street, was one of these places. In operation since 1898, The Berghoff served free corned-beef sandwiches on rye with their 5-cent beers. According to The Berghoff’s website (www.theberghoff.com), women were not allowed at The Berghoff’s bar until 1969, when Gloria Steinem and other activists from the National Organization for Women entered the bar and demanded to be served. This action was part of a nationwide “Public Accommodations Week” protest during which women demanded service in men-only bars and restaurants across the country, as explained on the We’re History website (werehistory.org).

Chinese restaurants, known as “chop suey houses,” were also popular during the first half of the twentieth century. Chop suey houses were known for serving affordable food that was exotic for its time. However, these establishments were generally considered to be risqué, especially for women, because they often kept late hours, offered live entertainment and dancing, and attracted a bohemian clientele. Some were located near Chicago’s vice district. Because these restaurants were largely run by Chinese immigrants, xenophobia also contributed to the tarnished reputation of chop suey houses.

The Berghoff Restaurant at 17 W. Adams St. Postcard publisher is unknown. 

Marshall Field’s department store soon caught on to the lack of dining options for women in Chicago. According to WBEZ’s Curious City podcast, the department store was the first of its kind to open a restaurant on the premises. The story goes that one day a group of women shoppers were about to cancel their purchases and leave the State Street store because they were too hungry to continue shopping. The saleperson helping them, however, had a better idea. She invited the women to share her lunch of chicken pot pie and had a table and chairs set up in the store for their impromptu meal break. When word of this reached Harry Gordon Selfridge, a top executive of Marshall Field and Company, he liked the idea so much that he decided to officially open a restaurant inside the store. Chicken pot pie became one of the Walnut Room’s signature dishes.

Women who worked in the shops and offices downtown during the early 1900s were also in need of lunch spots. Progressive women’s groups began opening low-cost tea and lunch rooms, sometimes called “suffrage lunchrooms,” in downtown office buildings. This provided a “win-win” opportunity: women had a safe place to eat an affordable lunch, and the women’s groups used the proceeds to fund their cause of promoting women’s rights, especially the right to vote. According to the “Restaurant-ing Through History” blog (restaurant-ingthroughhistory.com), men were welcome to eat at suffrage lunch rooms, but they would likely be given feminist pamphlets and engaged in political conversations while there. One suffrage tea room that opened in Chicago in 1914 reserved its pie a la mode dessert for male patrons only, possibly as a way to butter them up to the cause. 

The New Forum Cafeteria at 64 W. Madison St. Published by Curt Teich Co., Chicago. 

Cafeterias soon opened up throughout the downtown area to offer quick and inexpensive lunches to women workers as well as men seeking an alternative to the saloon. Because customers served themselves at cafeterias, they were able to finish their meals more quickly and didn’t need to tip. Some of these cafeterias were furnished with only one-armed classroom chairs to discourage customers from lingering, which earned them the nickname “one-arm lunchrooms.” Thompson’s Cafeteria was one of the larger chains of these early “fast casual” restaurants in the city. A 1911 ad for Thompson’s states that a lunch at this cafeteria wouldn’t leave one “logy and lazy and dull” for the rest of the workday. However, the popular idea of what constituted “lighter fare” at the turn of the century was quite different from today’s. A common cafeteria lunch was chicken a la king, and some popular sandwich offerings from Thompson’s included hot frankfurter, cold boiled ham, and smoked boiled tongue.

Something as simple as a safe place to eat allowed women the option to spend more time away from home and less time cooking so that they could get on with the rest of their day, doing what they needed or wanted to do.

Written by Emily Ruzich

To hear more about Chicago’s dining options in the early twentieth century, check out these episodes of the Curious City podcast at npr.org: “From Chop Suey Houses to Saloons: What Was Chicago’s Foodie Scene Like in the Early 20th Century?” (February 18, 2020) and “How A Department Store Became Part of Chicago’s Christmas Traditions” (December 10, 2020)

Special thank you to Judy Speer for telling me about the Curious City podcast.

P.S. The Berghoff still serves corned-beef sandwiches and beer, but it now costs more than a nickel.


Stouffer's "Top of The Rock" Restaurant. Postcard published by Colourpicture Publishers Inc., Chicago. 


Comments

  1. Found this online: Mrs. Hering's Original 1890 Chicken Pot Pie Recipe that Launched Marshall Field's Food Service and the Walnut Room Restaurant.
    https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/2018/12/marshall-fields-mrs-hering-original-chicken-pot-pie-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The history of Thompson’s Cafeteria Restaurants of Chicago, Illinois.
    https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/2016/12/thompsons-cafeteria-restaurants-of.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marshall Field's at Christmas

  The aisle on the first floor of the State Street store is 358 feet long. Postcard publisher is unknown.  Many Chicagoans continue to miss visiting Marshall Field’s during the holiday season. Just talking about the famed Christmas windows and holiday decorations brings about memories of the department store’s glory days. Many of us can recall the strong smell of perfume that would greet visitors upon entering the flagship State Street store, along with the huge white Romanesque columns decorated with Christmas fare on the first floor. The real fun, however, was taking the elevator to the 7 th floor to get a glimpse of the giant Christmas tree inside the Walnut Room restaurant. The best place to view the tree was one floor up on a balcony area. Christmas decorations on the first floor. Postcard publisher is unknown.  Frango mint chocolates were piled high in various areas throughout the store, and many visitors couldn’t resist buying a box. Frango chocolates were once made in a kitc

Postcard Spotlight: Marina City in 3-D

A 3-D image of the Marina City towers on State Street and the Chicago River at night. The back of the postcard indicates that the towers are 60 stories tall and boast 896 apartments. The buildings also have 20 floors of auto parking and a 600-boat parking area. At the time of the printing of this postcard in the 1960s, Marina City also had a movie theater, shops, restaurants, a swimming pool, a skating rink, and a 3-acre park. The total cost of construction was $36 million.  Postcard published by Aero Distributing Co., Inc., of Chicago. Photo by Bill Engdahl with Hedrich Blessing Photographers.  The postcard is a Curteichcolor 3-D natural color reproduction.

Lost Souls on Chicago's Forgotten Suicide Bridge

On this postcard, the bridge is called Suicide Bridge instead of its official name High Bridge. Postcard publication is unknown.  A tall pedestrian bridge that was built over the Lincoln Park Lagoon in 1894 was later dubbed “Suicide Bridge” after the structure became a popular place for people to take their own lives . It is believed that about 100 people jumped off of the bridge during its 25 years. Located south of Fullerton and east of Lincoln Park Zoo near Webster Avenue (originally called Asylum Place), High Bridge allowed pedestrians to cross from Lincoln Park to the lakefront. At 75 feet--or four stories--tall, the bridge was built high enough to allow sailboats to pass underneath. It was so high that people standing on the bridge on a clear day could see as far as the stockyards, Jackson Park, and the steel mills.   High Bridge was featured in a chase scene in the 1916 film Cousin Jim . The stuntman hired to jump off the bridge refused to do it because he thought