Skip to main content

Chicago Conservatories: Keeping the City Green Since the Late 1800s

The Lincoln Park Conservatory. Postcard published by Chas, Levy Circulating Co., Chicago.
Chicago Conservatories have provided Chicagoans with a much-needed oasis of plant life—as well as year-round warmth—since the late nineteenth century. According to the Encyclopedia of Chicago, horticulture became popular during this time among city dwellers in the United States and Europe who were concerned about the negative effects of industrialization.

The Douglas Park Conservatory. Postcard published by B. Sebastian, Chicago. 
Three small conservatories were built between 1886 and 1888 in Humbolt Park, Douglas Park, and Garfield Park. The Lincoln Park Conservatory was built between 1890 and 1895 and still stands today. A fifth Chicago conservatory was built in Washington Park in 1897, only to be demolished in the 1930s. And the Oak Park Conservatory, which is still open today, was constructed in the Western suburb in 1929.
The Washington Park Conservatory and Pergola. Postcard published by Max Rigot Selling Co., Chicago.

In 1905, plans were made for landscape architect Jens Jensen to replace the three small conservatories in Humbolt, Douglas, and Garfield Parks, which had become poorly maintained, with one large conservatory in Garfield Park. With the help of three Prairie School architects and an engineering firm, Jensen designed the glass structure of the conservatory to emulate the shape of Midwestern haystacks and designed the conservatory’s interior as a series of indoor naturalistic landscapes. The building was badly damaged in a 2011 hailstorm, which shattered many of its glass panes. The Conservatory underwent extensive repairs for several years after the storm.
The interior of the Garfield Park Conservatory. Postcard published by V. O. Hammon, Chicago.

Today, the Garfield Park Conservatory is considered by many to be a “hidden gem” on the city’s West Side. It includes a Desert House, a Palm House, and the Prehistoric Era-themed Fern Room. In 2019, part of the conservatory roof had to be removed to accommodate the massive growth spurt of an agave americana plant. And an agave guiengola plant in the Desert House has shot up to skyscraper status this year. You can read more about these amazing plants and learn how to make margarita cupcakes with tequila, a distilled spirit made from the agave plant, as the star ingredient here [link]. No matter how dreary it may be outside, at least we can rely on the Garfield Park, Lincoln Park, and Oak Park Conservatories to provide us with some much-needed warmth and green surroundings all year round. 

-Story by Emily Ruzich

Sources:


“Conservatories,” Encyclopedia of Chicago. 

"History," Garfield Park Conservatory website. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marshall Field's at Christmas

  The aisle on the first floor of the State Street store is 358 feet long. Postcard publisher is unknown.  Many Chicagoans continue to miss visiting Marshall Field’s during the holiday season. Just talking about the famed Christmas windows and holiday decorations brings about memories of the department store’s glory days. Many of us can recall the strong smell of perfume that would greet visitors upon entering the flagship State Street store, along with the huge white Romanesque columns decorated with Christmas fare on the first floor. The real fun, however, was taking the elevator to the 7 th floor to get a glimpse of the giant Christmas tree inside the Walnut Room restaurant. The best place to view the tree was one floor up on a balcony area. Christmas decorations on the first floor. Postcard publisher is unknown.  Frango mint chocolates were piled high in various areas throughout the store, and many visitors couldn’t resist buying a box. Frango chocolates were once made in a kitc

Postcard Spotlight: Marina City in 3-D

A 3-D image of the Marina City towers on State Street and the Chicago River at night. The back of the postcard indicates that the towers are 60 stories tall and boast 896 apartments. The buildings also have 20 floors of auto parking and a 600-boat parking area. At the time of the printing of this postcard in the 1960s, Marina City also had a movie theater, shops, restaurants, a swimming pool, a skating rink, and a 3-acre park. The total cost of construction was $36 million.  Postcard published by Aero Distributing Co., Inc., of Chicago. Photo by Bill Engdahl with Hedrich Blessing Photographers.  The postcard is a Curteichcolor 3-D natural color reproduction.

Lost Souls on Chicago's Forgotten Suicide Bridge

On this postcard, the bridge is called Suicide Bridge instead of its official name High Bridge. Postcard publication is unknown.  A tall pedestrian bridge that was built over the Lincoln Park Lagoon in 1894 was later dubbed “Suicide Bridge” after the structure became a popular place for people to take their own lives . It is believed that about 100 people jumped off of the bridge during its 25 years. Located south of Fullerton and east of Lincoln Park Zoo near Webster Avenue (originally called Asylum Place), High Bridge allowed pedestrians to cross from Lincoln Park to the lakefront. At 75 feet--or four stories--tall, the bridge was built high enough to allow sailboats to pass underneath. It was so high that people standing on the bridge on a clear day could see as far as the stockyards, Jackson Park, and the steel mills.   High Bridge was featured in a chase scene in the 1916 film Cousin Jim . The stuntman hired to jump off the bridge refused to do it because he thought